Friday, December 11, 2009

Freezing Bananas....at 2 am

I am experiencing a pretty sucky case of insomnia lately, keeping me up until 3ish in the morning usually, only to get back up around 7am.  Logan is still not sleeping through the night, so operating on only 4 hours of sleep every day is getting to be pretty hard.

My usual tricks of falling asleep aren't working anymore (read a book or watch a little tv) so I find myself cooking, cleaning or working after the kids go to bed.  This last Thursday night was no different...I had a BUNCH of over ripe bananas sitting on my counter waiting to be frozen.  I was planning on doing it the next day, but hey, I was up and full of energy already, might as well do it then, right?

So that is what I was doing last night at 3 am....but it's sooooo easy and goes by pretty quickly...here, I'll show you....

First of all, there are several ways you can freeze your bananas.  The two methods I prefer are these ones:
  • Peel and slice then mash the bananas, then pour into sandwich baggies to freeze.
  • OR Peel and slice the bananas and lay the pieces on a baking sheet in a single layer.  Put the sheet into the freezer until the slices are frozen.  Transfer to a freezer bag and put back into the freezer. 
I like the second option for making smoothies with!  But last night I went with mashing them.  To make it a little easier on me, I measure out a cup of the mashed bananas and then transferred them to the baggies...so now any time I make my banana bread and it calls for 2 cups of mashed banana, I'll just grab two baggies...easy peasy!  I wound up with a total of ten cups last night...which I then preceded to put 5 of the sandwich baggies into a large freezer bag, labeled and put into my freezer!


No comments:

Post a Comment